Saturday, November 3, 2012

X-Band 2, My favorite iPad accessory

X-band, my favorite iPad accessory

I was interviewed recently about the iPad mini launch by someone from the news program up at Syracuse University for their TV news show. I brought my iPad 2 to the interview and we got to talking about my X-band 2. It's such a part of my everyday life, that I forget how many people haven't seen one.

I bought it as sort of a lark, because the iPad can be a bit ungainly to hold with one hand if you happen to be watching a long movie or when I get into one of my long winded facebook sessions.  I thought I might use it now and then, but that it would be very situational. It's great for waving the iPad around in front of a group of people or training somebody on how to use one. The thing was, once I put it on, I quickly got addicted to it.

It's handy, comfortable, and weighs next to nothing. There are a lot of different ways to hold it, I usually put the two inner fingers of my hand thru the hole, sometimes I change it up watching a movie by just hanging it off of my thumb. It is also quite durable. After hours and hours of daily use over the last year or so, it still looks brand new. There are cutouts for the headphone jack and most anything else you need to get to. (It does block the rear camera lens, which I have never used.)

If I set the unit on it's back, it prevents it from scratching. The leather corners also prevent it from getting scratched or dusty if I want to lay it on its face. Instead of being a once a week thing, now the only time I take it off is to pack the iPad for serious travel. For those times I use the Logitech Zagg keyboard case. http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logitech-ipad-2-keyboard-case If I plan to do a marathon typing session at home, I often use the Zagg case and the iPad with the X-band attached. The case easel works fine without removing the X-band.

When I finally do hit the hay or if I am purely watching Netflix, I hang the iPad on the wall by the X-band and pipe the sound thru my massive antiquated stereo system with my Belkin Bluetooth Receiver. Life is good.

Anyway, I could not recommend the X-Band more highly. Rarely has a product so exceeded my expectations. In fact, the only thing I don't like about it is that they don't yet make one for the iPad mini. ... but I can dream.

For more on the X-band and their other products, visit TKO Solutions on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment